Saturday, June 03, 2006

Help me build a Mock Newbery List

Forget the frantic emailing and searching other people's lists in November...I'm going to start now soliciting suggestions for titles to use in my Mock Newbery this December (feel free to weigh in on a date as well. It'll be at the Oakland Public Library as before). What better way to do it than in a blog--and what better way for me to start blogging.

Only title on my list so far:
The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate Di Camillo. I haven't really started thinking about what other potentials there are, but this one seems obvious.

6 Comments:

Blogger Literaticat said...

Librarian Darlings:
Richard Peck - Here Lies the Librarian
Lois Lowry - Gossamer
Cynthia Kadohata - Weedflower

Strong Debuts:
Jenny Han - Shug
Cynthia Lord - Rules

Nonfiction:
Joanne Oppenheim - Dear Miss Breed

I'm sure I will think of more!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth O Dulemba said...

Samurai Shortstop by Alan Gratz
Gentle's Holler by Kerry Madden
Peaches by Jodi Lynn Anderson

1:46 PM  
Blogger Literaticat said...

Unfortunately, "e", Gentle and Peaches are from 2005.

5:00 PM  
Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Here are the strongest I've seen so far:

-Firegirl by Tony Abbott
-The Loud Silence of Francine Green by Karen Cushman
-Penny From Heaven by Jennifer L. Holm
-Lugalbanda by Kathy Henderson
-Bella At Midnight by Diane Stanley

2:25 PM  
Blogger Nina Lindsay said...

Thanks litericat for clarifying the publishing years. Yes, the books must be originally published in the US in 2006, and written by an American author or resident.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Libby Koponen said...

I'd like to nominate Year of the Dog. Full disclosure: Grace Lin is my good friend-- but the book is really worthy. Read fuse8's review . The book is funny, touching, and perfect for children who are just starting to read chapter books. There isn't much out there for them that's this good; it makes readers laugh out loud and, sometimes, tear up. Definitely deserving!

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home