Monday, July 03, 2006

Eligibility question: Lugalbanda

I don't have a copy of Lugalbanda handy...but it may raise the eligibility question of "original work." Here's from the criteria:

"In defining the term, "original work," the committee will consider books that are traditional in origin, if the book is the result of original research and the retelling and interpretation are the writer's own."

If anyone has some insight (source notes printed in the book?) on whether this version would constitute an "original work" under this criterium, please comment! In the actual committee, this sort of question often gets handled between the committee chair, her "Priority Group Consultant" (a member appointed to handle issues for all award committees), and the ALSC President.

5 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

I like the list at Powell's. Thanks for that.
I do not have a copy of Lugalbanda in front of me either, but I think it would be considered original work.

Back to reading as ordered.

7:04 PM  
Blogger bkwmn said...

I think I left this on the wrong blog entry, so please excuse duplication:
Unfortunately, I believe that Sleeping Freshman is a 2005 book. I assume that Emil and Karl is not eligible due to having been published before? Too bad, it's a stunner of a book.
Cool mask, Nina!!
bkwmn

9:19 AM  
Blogger Nina said...

You're right, there it says plain as day "July 2005" so Sleeping Freshmen is off. (And someone else already pointed this out to me I think, sorry about that.)

Replaced with Heroes of Baseball--thanks Monica!

12:20 PM  
Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Lugalbanda isn't in front of me right now, but I did review it earlier this year. As I recall, the book was a fairly faithful translation of the original text. The author did, however, take several different Lugalbanda tales and combine them in such a way as to create an original story. In this way, the final product is an original creation, even if the stories were direct translations of someone else's work.

9:43 AM  
Blogger bkwmn said...

If this is the title published by Candlewick, it just came out on the list of books submitted to the Outstanding International Books for Children committee- hence it would be ineligible for Newbery.
Micki

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home